We had to be out of the house for a little bit this morning while Ms. Amanda helped us clean up - Mommy is a terrible housekeeper! So, we headed to the nature museum! I was a little nervous about going by myself not knowing how big the museum was or if the exhibits were appropriate for an almost two year old. As usual, Walkeroo was such a good boy and we had a blast! Walker loves seeing animals and seems really interested in learning about them. As soon as we got out of the car, he heard the geese honking and wanted to make sure that I heard them, too. When we got inside, we wanted to go straight to the owl. Walker loves to tell us that the owl goes, "Hooo, hooo, hooo." So, we got to see a real live owl close up. We also got to see a crow, snakes, turtles, a skunk, opossum, starfish (not real), octopus (not real), baby quails that had literally just hatched from their eggs, an alligator, and butterflies. There was an exhibit about animals that tunnel in the ground and the main feature was a slide. Walker climbed the steps and then disappeared into the exhibit. My heart skipped a beat, and I imagined all those made-for-tc movies where the little boy goes missing. The next thing I knew, I heard, "Mommy, Mommy!" coming from the bottom of the slide. My big boy went down the slide all by himself! I guess those gym classes are really paying off. He's getting really comfortable doing slides and climbing all by himself
While we were there, we heard an announcement for a puppet show! We headed over to the little theater and got settled in our seats. Once the lights went out, Walker said, "Cuddlebug!" and wrapped both arms around me and put his little head on my shoulder. I'm not sure if he was frightened by the puppets, the dark, or the loud music. So, we watched the puppet show with him clutched to me. At the end, he clapped his hands with all the other kids, so I guess it wasn't too traumatizing. And, I must confess, I loved having my little pumpkin cuddlebugging with me!
He hasn't stopped talking about all the animals we saw today, which melts my heart! At bedtime, we looked at a book that has pictures of a lot of the animals we saw. It amazed us that Walker could name almost every animal in the book...including the hippopotamus!
It was hard to get too many pics, because Walker wanted me to lift him up to get closer to most of the exhibits and also the flash would bounce off the glass of the exhibits. But, here are a few...
The opossum

Looking at some stuffed birds

The turtles

Starfish, octopus, and crabs

Going down the slide
No comments:
Post a Comment